According João Baptista Borges, regarding the global reality, it is important to highlight the following data:
- About 70% of the surface of our planet is covered by water;
- 97.5% of the planet’s water is salty and cannot be used for human consumption;
- A person needs at least 40 liters of water daily to do their activities, such as drinking, bathing and cooking;
- Currently 768 million people on the planet do not have access to treated water;
- 2.5 million people do not have access to basic sanitation;
- João Baptista Borges wants to emphasizes, every year more than five million people die as a result of diseases linked to the lack of safe drinking water and basic sanitation;
- According to the UN, by 2030, the world’s population will need 40% more water.